Latest Articles from our Partners

Guiding Light ~ Cape Disappointment Lighthouse

The Cape Disappointment Light is a lighthouse which marks the north side of the mouth of the Columbia River in the state of Washington. This guiding light was first lit on October 15, 1856 and stands 53 feet high.

The light was automated in 1973, and is monitored from Astoria, Oregon. The lighthouse is still an active aid to navigation in our area. An observation deck has been built for the Coast Guard to monitor traffic and bar conditions. The grounds are open to the public via Cape Disappointment State Park. 

We hiked to the lighthouse a few years ago and I recently found these photographs, which I had completely forgotten about.  Enjoy!
 






 




2 comments:

  1. I love your pics! I've never seen a lighthouse on such a perfectly round grassy rock. I love finding old pics that I forgot I had!
    Ann @ Cairn Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to this lighthouse. It's quite a hike out to it, and for us it truly was a Disappointment. There was the stench of dead animal in the air surrounding the lighthouse. Maybe a whale? Although we never went back to Cape Disappointment, we did visit North Head Lighthouse in Ilwaco several times. It's not far from the Cape!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting us, we would love to hear what you think - - Have a beachy day!

**We love to reply to your comment, so please make sure your profile shows your email address, it makes it much easier! :O)

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.