Latest Articles from our Partners

Beach Challenge: What Can YOU Do This Week?



Plastic bottles are a regular occurrence along our stretch of beach; however we now have the addition of Styrofoam debris which is washing ashore from the Japanese tsunami last year.  The Styrofoam is amazingly thick in some areas.  The foam has lots of little critters living inside of it and our sea birds are eating them, which means they are ingesting Styrofoam. Not good!

via Seaview, WA blog

I've always been one to pick up a bit of garbage on each beach visit, but am now armed with full-sized garbage bags and am going to continue the collection of Styrofoam & plastic each trip from now on.  Too many times in my life I have heard someone say, "What difference can I make?" I've always believed that every little bit helps!  

via Seaview, WA blog

"A call for HELP! is going out to our community, visitors and summer residents.  Your help is needed!  Our beaches are filled with foam.  Not the foamy seawater that rolls onshore - but foam as in Styrofoam." explains Nansen Malin of Seaview, WA.


via Seaview, WA blog

No, "we" can't make people be responsible and clean up their mess, but "I" can make sure that "I" don't contribute and "I" can make sure to pick up garbage which ruins our beach.  This is no easy task for me as health problems make it tough to just walk on the beach or get out of bed many days.  No one said it would be easy, did they?

My challenge to you this week...

What can YOU do (or do you do) to help protect our beaches and sea life?  Every little bit helps!

Marie
xoxo

Learn more:



7 comments:

  1. Right there with you beach girl! Picking up garbage has become a regular part of my beach walk. A little depressing, but unfortunately it is what has to be done to help our sealife and ultimately for our entire planet.

    C

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly is a bit depressing, but must be done. Thanks for visiting & participating in the conversation!

      xoxo

      Delete
  2. It really is sad to see the trash along the beaches. I carry a bag for shells...I could carry one for trash, too. The beach I usually walk is Canaveral though and it is pristine. What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How fortunate you are to have a pristine beach in your area!!

      Be well,
      Marie
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. Hubby and I have been picking up trash on the beaches for years. Every little bit does help! I always have extra handmade mesh shelling bags, and use one of them for the garbage we collect on our beach walks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting us, we would love to hear what you think - - Have a beachy day!

**We love to reply to your comment, so please make sure your profile shows your email address, it makes it much easier! :O)

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.