Latest Articles from our Partners

{Coastal Craft} Hummingbird Cottage 'Finally' Gets a Sign

Long time readers know that our beloved little piece of heaven is fondly referred to as Hummingbird Cottage.  On my to-do list for all of last year was to paint a sign for hanging by our front door.  Well, about a week before Christmas I found a bit of time to get the paint out.


I've been saving some salvaged boards discovered on the beach for about two years and with a tiny bit of trimming they worked perfectly.  Three boards were placed side-by-side, attached together with metal brackets on the back and poof!!... I had the perfect painting surface.  





Prepping the sign is the most important part since it will be outside in the elements of a coastal climate. A coat of Kilz primer, a light coat of green acrylic paint and then brushing of white semi-gloss paint which was left over from our kitchen cabinets - it's ready for stencils etc.  Everything dries pretty fast since I was painting inside so it actually isn't as much work as it sounds!



I had some old brass stencils which I used for the numbers and word hummingbird.  Once stenciled I then used my paint brush to fill in the stencil open spaces (sorry, I didn't take photos, I know - BAD blogger!).



I used a pencil to lightly freehand the word "cottage" on first as well as draw the hummingbird, then painted over them.  24 hours later I added a couple of coats of exterior varnish plus two saw-tooth hangers for the back - DONE!



Our little "cottage" has an official sign...finally.  :O)

Does your beach home have a name? and a sign?

flourish  



Mark Your Calendars...

 2012 Decorating Resolutions Blog Party January 23, 2012

12 comments:

  1. That is fabulous! Love your sign!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your beautiful sign. The colors are so pretty and really it really pops hanging on the siding. Love it………

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really adorable!

    Thank you so much for stopping by, Sally. I'm also sooooo busy! But it's great to visit you today! :-)

    Have a great day!

    xo

    Luciane at HomeBunch.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sign is so precious. And in answer to your questions ... does my home have a name and a sign?

    No ... and no.

    And THAT needs to change.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's adorable! We do not have a name but we're not on the beach either :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting us, we would love to hear what you think - - Have a beachy day!

**We love to reply to your comment, so please make sure your profile shows your email address, it makes it much easier! :O)

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.