Latest Articles from our Partners

{Coastal Christmas - Day 2} Childhood Memories of Advent Calendars

We didn't have much money when I was a child growing up...some would of even called us poor.  I don't have any memories of ever "feeling" poor though. We always had warm meals to fill our bellies, big cuddly hugs from my mom and gifts to open on Christmas. 

One of my favorite memories of the Holiday season was the advent calendar which sat on our piano each year.  It was the same advent calendar which was used year after year....a cardboard one which was embellished with idyllic Christmas images on it.  That advent calendar seemed magical to me as a child. Many times it had nothing inside those little cardboard doors other than a little Holiday saying inside and other years mom would carefully stuff little chocolates inside each and every door for me.



For some reason, the Holiday tradition of the Advent calendar disappeared...I guess I grew up and then my kids grew up; but I'm going to start the tradition again this year.  I realize it is December now but I found many calendar ideas which wouldn't take much time to create so I'm going to try to whip something up.

The Advent Calendars that we found for inspiration vary from intricate to plain & simple...I certainly lean towards the plain and simple for our beach cottage (and NO, not every Christmas decoration has to be "beachy" to be in a beach cottage}.  Is there one or two that you like?











Source: momadvice.com via Maria on Pinterest















































Source: bhg.com via Rosemarie on Pinterest


















We'd love to hear your memories or Christmas tradition of using an Advent Calendar...or have you made one yourself?   Happy Holidays!

Sharing at Pink Saturday; Feathered Nest Friday; Inspiration Friday


– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
Today’s coastal article brought to you by these premier coastal partners…
As well as these fabulous coastal businesses >Coastal Marketplace

6 comments:

  1. What lovely advent calendars and I love you sharing your memories about your childhood advent calendar. Happy holidays

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, hopped over from Pink Saturday. Boy, there is more than one or two that I like. Love so many of them. Last year I made one of the large linen ones with the tags hanging down. It was a copycagt of Pottery Barn that I loved. It hangs in my master bedroom for Dec. I recently did a post on my bedroom. I always buy those little chocolate advents for each of my grandies. It's so fun counting down the days. Have fun making your advent. Don't go hop wild like I did. I made three different ones for me and one for each of my married children last year. 7 to be exact. Crazy, for sure. Happy Holidays. Now a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply beautiful!

    My PINK is inviting you to come and take a peek. Have a beautiful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so inspired to make one of these now! Beautiful calendars.
    Happy Pink Saturday..xo Tami

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fabulous advent calendars! So many options and ideas. Thank you for sharing them with us at Inspiration Friday!!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so cool. The tradition seems to have withered in our family as well. I truly enjoyed seeing these, a reminder for me of what Christmas is about, traditions and love...Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting us, we would love to hear what you think - - Have a beachy day!

**We love to reply to your comment, so please make sure your profile shows your email address, it makes it much easier! :O)

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.