Latest Articles from our Partners

{Best of 2011} Creating a Serene Cottage Bedroom

Our fifth most popular coastal article of 2011 - My bedroom! Wow, what an honor. We'll actually be changing things up in our bedroom during 2012 so it's fun to look back. Enjoy!

Long time readers know that I feel that the master bedroom is the most important room in the house (It's All About the Bedroom) but we still have such a long way to go in creating the perfectly serene cottage bedroom that I truly am looking for. 

Our bedroom does have new paint, curtains, white ceiling fan, re-painted lamps and ....well, that's about it!




Since there is no headboard, I thought I'd search for a way to create a large beach cottage art piece to hang over the bed. While digging through the linen closet I discovered a quilt which had been long forgotten.  It had holes here and there plus torn edges (thank you to my sweet poodle, Minnie, when she was teething).  The quilt was designed with pink and blue appliqued flowers on one side and a simple white back. The white back with the stitched design showing through won my vote.  Now, what can I do with it??
Some old scrap wood was sanded and made into a simple frame.  A coat of white paint plus a very lightly applied blue-grey glaze finished off the frame.  A huge piece of cardboard from a furniture purchase (thank goodness the hubby keeps everything) was then wrapped with a large piece of the quilt.  I had strapping tape so used that to attach the quilt to the cardboard.  Two sawtooth hangers attached to the back of the wood frame worked perfectly for hanging it on the wall.  It's nice that there is still enough quilt left for a table runner and/or some pillow shams. By using tape, I can easily change out the quilt with other fabric or whatever I want down the road.

Here is what the framed quilt looks like in our beach cottage bedroom...



A beautiful starfish & seashell garland from Caron's Beach House was tacked to the corners of the frame. The organza ribbon provides a bit of lovely romance.




Since I haven't spent money on a headboard yet, you may be wondering what I have spent money on. Well, not the cute eyelet pillow shams -- I found them in the bottom of my linen closet too!




There's nothing better than a good night's sleep so money was spent on bedding.  100% Egyptian cotton sheets, a lightweight down comforter, velvet chenille blanket, fluffy new pillows and an Egyptian cotton basket-weave blanket all provide lovely texture as well as warmth, comfort and cuddliness.  Everything was found at either Ross Stores or Overstock.com so not much money was spent - yippy!  


Long sheer curtains from Ikea were added last Autumn; which let the sun shine through.  Each curtain rod was hung as close to the ceiling as possible to create more height in the room.  We love listening to the surf on warm days so we open the windows and the white sheers elegantly blow in the breeze.  A white five-finger starfish graces the top of each window.


Using different textured fabrics create great interest in any room...but especially a bedroom.  Since we live in the Pacific Northwest it is damp and cool much of the year so we gravitate towards warm and cuddly.  We also have three dogs so fabrics which are easily washable and stain resistant are a must-have in our beach cottage.


We still have dark bed tables and dresser which we are contemplating painting; however they aren't very old and in fairly good shape still...we'll see.

Daisy just couldn't wait for me to finish taking photographs and snuck up onto her favorite velvety blanket... She's such a little stinker :O)

I feel like I need a little color besides the Vanilla Brandy on the walls... 

Maybe an accent wall!? The wall behind the bed? 



Unique and Distinctive Gifts & Jewelry Inspired by the Sea.




44 comments:

  1. That is such a wonderful idea and looks divine in all white. The shell and starfish garland finishes it off beautifully. Homemade and original are the best kinds of art I do believe.
    Have a great week.
    Best Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks so pretty!!!! Love the starfish garland:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so nice. And comfy. I would not want to get out of bed with those sheets. They look so soft.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie your art work is beautiful!! What a great way to reuse and save special pieces. :) I love your bed, it looks so cozy and a wonderful place to unwind at night and listen to the water...aaahhhhhhh........
    I am so bad with paint colors, my room has been three different colors in less than a year. :) I say paint what you like and if you don't like it, you can paint it again. :) I know, I am of no help. I do love the color of your room though, very warm and cozy. :)
    Hugs to you!!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous and unique idea! You hit serene on the head.

    Take care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your room - it's so peaceful and cozy! The framed quilt piece is perfect with the starfish and shell accents! Maybe you want to bring in more color on the bed with another throw to bring out the color of the shells? Just a thought. How about some candles on the nightstand in the color of the shells?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful piece of art! I love it!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your room! You are so creative. The quilt with the garland is the perfect touch. I have a shih-tzu so I know what you mean about washable fabrics.Our cottage is mostly white but all washable. Your little Daisy is a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your bed looks delish and inviting, I feel like laying down in it, it's mushi! Very beautiful your garland quilt, very creative. Your Daisy is adorable, she gives you a touch of a dark color, Lol! I'm also at MM, at, BNOTP.
    Have a nice week.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  10. The bed looks so inviting and cozy. Now I want to cuddle up with a soft blanket and a poodle!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the art you made from that quilt. the garland is adorable. Your bedroom is looking very cottage coastal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the quilt as an art work! the lamp is cute and your dog is adorable.
    you asked for suggestions...a mosquito net (maybe you say canopy?) is an easy way to give a bedroom a romantic feel. i'd like light blue or white walls in a bedroom.
    cheryl x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Daisy is adorable! My chihuahua Holly is currently lying on my bed like that. I'm telling you there is something wrong when a 4 pound dog takes up the bed and you are clinging off the edge. What we do for love!

    Those shams are lovely and I like the shell garland. Just perfect for a beach cottage room. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those pillows are simply gorgeous, thank you for your nice comments on my coffee filter topiary. I am following too!
    Have a great day!
    XXX Ido

    ReplyDelete
  15. Daisy looks very comfy! Great idea for an impromptu "headboard" - like your creativity, and so glad that you found a fun place for one of our garlands.

    Have a great Monday!
    Caron

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just beautiful! I love this solution. But I am crazy about white quilts too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very pretty framed quilt. I've never seen one framed. Re the color. If you want tone-on-tone this won't work but a muted version of that coral in the shells hanging over the quilt would make a great accent wall color. Alternately, I'd pick up that coral for some accessories. But that changes the room dynamic considerably.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow thanks for this post. It is so lovely in there. I wish we had an Ikea near here, because I've been dying for some floor to ceiling sheers for awhile now. I love the quilted fram and starfish/shell garland. I plan to do something like this in our bedroom, because we have nothing above our bed now.

    ~Sarah from Ugly House Lovely Home
    http://uglyhouselovelyhome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. You did a remarkable job with this room and repurposing old items - I really admire the job using that beautiful quilt- what a clever idea!

    Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, I think that's a very clever and cute idea for a headboard! Your little Daisy is just darling! Thanks so much for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Once again, I've gotten an idea from you.
    Going to bed now...I'm sleepy after looking at this inviting bedroom!

    ReplyDelete
  22. B-U-T-Full hehe, I love it. I love all the soft whites mixed with a few muted tones. The blanket the color of sand. Gorgeous. Well done, my dear, a pleasure to view your photos. tami

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome idea for some thrifty artwork...LOVE IT!!!! Thanks so much for coming by NTT and sharing with all of us.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your room looks so cozy and peaceful! I love the quaint headboard and shells. I don't know how you get out of bed in the mornings. Nothing like Egyptian cotton sheets.

    Daisy is a crack up! She has the best spot in the house :D
    Enjoy your night!
    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your bed looks so wonderfully inviting and the 'headboard' is such a great idea and gives a wonderful soft texture, also loving the beautiful lamp :) x

    ReplyDelete
  26. Rose.nutira@paradise.net.nzMay 17, 2011 at 12:47 AM

    Your room looks sooooo fabulous! Suggest accent colours that reflect the sea ... turquoise, green-blue, warmed with the varied colours of driftwood, golden sand, perhaps with a little smoky-pink found in seaglass ... just a little thought from Rose - NZ xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful bedroom, love the headboard and the pillow cases too! Thanks for sharing at Beach Cottage Good Life Wednesdays :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Serene indeed! Looks comfortable and gorgeous! Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think your headboard looks just fabulous! I love soft old worn out quilts. The frame is lovely, I need to make one for my guest room for a picture of roses that takes the place of a headboard in there. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi,
    Looking so cozy! Love the garland, so cute and theose eyelet shams are dreamy:-)
    Hugs,
    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gorgeous !! What a beautiful and tranquil retreat you created ... I could spend the day in there !!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What kind of fur baby is Daisy? I just did a post about mine on May 17 & she is a spoiled girl too! Adores her soft fuzzy blankie! Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such a pretty room~ The artwork behind your bed is so serene and pretty. Love the garland- Ross is a big time favorite of mine too! Thank you for linking this up at FNF this week- have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love how you showcased this beautiful quilt. I use the backside of quilts often, your bedroom looks lovely and comfy. Thanks for linking up with VIF! xo Debra

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful :) And what a cute dog :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Such a great dream scene. The bedroom is most comfortable to look at. It is so, that I even crave sleep after this.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I would love to consider that in my bedroom. I find it comfortable. You really did a good job.

    luxury home builders

    ReplyDelete
  38. Dear Marie -

    Have a bright and beautiful New Year!

    Linda
    Sand and Sea
    aka beachside cottage

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wishing you and yours a happy and blessed 2012!

    Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  40. The sheets are gorgeous! I can't wait to do some decoration when we move into these New York new homes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting us, we would love to hear what you think - - Have a beachy day!

**We love to reply to your comment, so please make sure your profile shows your email address, it makes it much easier! :O)

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.