Latest Articles from our Partners

Cottage Chic China Cabinet

A piece of furniture which was originally built in the early 1930's has been in my life as long as I can recall.  My mother loved her Jacobean-style dining room set; which originally included a table, chairs, buffet and china cabinet. Over the years, and many moves, the pieces went their separate ways but I was lucky enough to have the honor of keeping the china cabinet. The piece is still as treasured today as when I was a little girl gazing at the lovely teacups and crystal which were housed within it's glass door.

Walnut veneer that use to be gorgeous had begun to crack and splinter badly over the years.  The entire china cabinet had seen better days!  

Since we're "beachifying" our cottage I walked up to that old china cabinet with a paint brush in hand and swiped it with white paint...I did it, I really did!

The guilt was horrible at first, but the more I painted, the better I felt. I wondered what my mom would of thought about her old treasured piece being painted.  It donned on me that mom would of loved the new piece and be happy that it had been renewed as well as a new love.  She'd also be ecstatic that the hubby and I have a new appreciation for the piece which she dearly treasured. Once this hit me, I continued painting with great abandon!

After gluing down loose veneer and filling holes with wood putty I began painting the entire piece with True Value's Premium Decor Waterborne Acrylic Enamel in white gloss.  That's right - no primer, just one light coat of this paint.  I mixed some acrylic paints to create a gray-blue shade in order to highlight the areas where the veneer pieces were. Another coat of the white gave me the look I was looking for plus several layers of dry brushing over the gray-blue with white paint softened the blue nicely (which appears more blue in the photos, it actually is more gray in person). 


A Cottage Chic China Cabinet ~ Before and After

The original door has a beautiful scrollwork piece, which we removed and are saving for another project (any suggestions?). I love the scrollwork, however never liked how it blocked the treasures featured on the top shelf.   The china cabinet appears a bit more modern with it removed too.





I haven't really filled the newly painted cabinet yet so it looks a bit stark. I'm hoping to find some vintage white ware and milk glass to display inside someday.



The seashell tassel was made by Marilyn of High Tide Creations.  I loved the first one I bought so much that I custom ordered several more and have them displayed throughout the cottage.



Original hardware was kept on the cabinet and a bit of silver leaf brightened up the formerly brownish-black metal.




A light sanding here and there created just a bit of shabbiness on the finished china cabinet.






The crescent moon cut-outs and scroll design along the bottom edge have always been some of my favorite details on this piece.




This sweet flourish adds to the cottage charm of the cabinet, don't you agree?


What did I learn while doing this project? That it's okay to change things and it doesn't take away the old memories you have.  That creating shabby chic pieces are so much fun! 

Sharing this week at . . .
Blue Monday at Smiling Sally 
Masterpiece Monday at Boogieboard Cottage
Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch
Show Off Your Cottage Monday @ The House in the Roses 
Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm
Good Life Wednesday @ A Beach Cottage
White Wednesday @ Faded Charm
Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern Style
Time Travel Thursday @ Brambleberry Cottage
Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Chic Cottage 
Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage
Show and Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home  
Vintage Inspiration Friday @ Common Ground

Today's coastal article brought to you by...
Ocean Offerings - Unique and Distinctive Gifts & Jewelry Inspired by the Sea.

Join Us and Continue the Conversation!

47 comments:

  1. love your cabinet..lovely colours and i like the way the inside looks. just gorgeous!
    cheryl x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your cabinet, it looks very coastal indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE your cabinet makeover. You did a FABULOUS job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And it looks awesome! I love it!

    Cheers Tracy
    www.asidreamit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lovely to have brought this piece back with a thoroughly modern makeover. It really is stunning. If your mum was as stylish as you, then I'm sure she would not mind one bit.
    Have a great week
    Best Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. This piece is adorable. Love the style and love the way you painited it...
    What about using the decorative piece you removed as a wall hanging inside a frame without glass... maybe above the cabinet? Your mother would be pleased indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! Thank you for sharing this on Masterpiece Monday. Have a great week, Mary :O)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely and so fresh looking. The colors are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your little cupboard and what you did to beach-ify it! I have one that is similar and am afraid to make the leap.

    Enjoy your week!
    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marie it is gorgeous!! I think you made that piece perfect to fit in your home. :) You really emphasized all the beautiful details of the cabinet and the tassel is so great! I just love the crescent moons!! Just gorgeous my friend!! :)
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your cabinet is so pretty. You did a wonderful job on the redo. I'd love to have a little cabinet like this!
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful cabinet! You did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You really did a great job - love the color. It is very beachy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your cabinet is awesome. I am so glad you came by my little joint. You always make me smile.

    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  15. That piece is be-u-tee-ful! And it makes all that more special that it's been in your family forever! Thanks for following my blog, I followed you right back :). You almost have 600 followers!!

    Have a fabulous Monday,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for your nice comment Sally! What a great makeover, your cabinet looks less heavier, and fresher too. What a lick of paint can do :)

    Aina

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Amazing transformation! Perfect!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your cabinet is so pretty and it turned out just great! I love this transformation!
    Hugs
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  19. The color is wonderful...gorgeous piece!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the cabinet...isnt it amazing what a lick of paint can do. Thanx for visiting and your lovely words.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is so beautiful! I would love this cabinet! your paint job is awesome and the colors are so light and beachy! It is hard to paint wood, but you really did a nice job and it looks even better!
    Stacey of Embracing Change
    visiting from Costal Charm

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'd move the center brace on the bottom, move it to the front and add a bottom shelf to display more treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ahh this cabinet is sooo beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beachy, shabby, gorgeous! I love how you changed this up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It turned out beautiful! The first swipe is sometimes hard. But it really brightened up the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your cabinet is absolutely beautiful and looks so cottagy. Is that a word? Your blog is gorgeous. We lived on the Isle of Palms in South Carolina for a few years so I love anything beachy. I have been to some beaches in California and to Bottega that you mentioned. I remember the fog there.
    I read your post about your kitchen renovation. It all looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  27. OMG this is gorgeous. I love how you used 2 colors. i am so tempted to paint the one I have had from my ex husband's great grandmom for more years than I care to mention. This came out so so gorgeous. I didnt want to paint mine just white because my kitchen is all white, but yours is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You did a great job with this beautiful piece! Love its new look. Thanks for linking to Beach Cottage Good Life Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your cabinet is absolutely beautiful! You have really given it a sweet shabby look. Great job!

    XO,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow! At first glance I was sure you had used the chalk paint everyone is raving about. Looks awesome. Funny thing is, I'm about to use the same technique to do a similar piece today. I chose acrylic paint like you and was hoping it would turn out exactly the way yours did. Now I'm sure it will and happy I went with the acrylic instead of the expensive chalk paint.
    xoxo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  31. I Love this transformation.... I have a similar cabinet & think I may have to give this a try~

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh my goodness! fabulous!!
    I told you..
    You all are decorating for me!
    Beautiful job!
    Smiles~
    Cricket

    ReplyDelete
  33. LOVE! It's so pretty... definitely has that coastal vibe :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Over form show and Tell. I Love it. My youngest daughter has nearly the same piece of furniture..sounds funny but she put it in her daughters nursery filled w/ nursery books, bears and dolls.. It works there also.

    ReplyDelete
  35. YOur cabinet is dreamy, nice way to update it. Mom would love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love this- love the colors, love the finish, love the cabinet! It's just darling~sharing this on Facebook~thanks for sharing at FNF! :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love it! Thanks for sharing it at WUW.

    ReplyDelete
  38. What a gorgeous piece of furniture! I love the new life a coat or two of paint can bring to an old treasure:) This came out fantasically. Love the blue accents!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wow, it really turned out beautifully! It's so cool to see pieces like this reborn. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Beautiful Sally... simply gorgeous... you give it such a delicate touch ...
    Hope you would like to feel the beauty and fragrance of flowers at
    http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
    Love
    Farah

    ReplyDelete
  41. It looks stunning you did a fantastic job :) It's beachy, classic, fresh and spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  42. you are so creative, you always have many great ideas and I have to confess I have taken some of your ideas and apply them on my projects!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Buy Malegra 100 mg from trusted online pharmacy

    ReplyDelete
  44. I like your website. Thank you for great information. I will come back to your website again.

    best regards

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting us, we would love to hear what you think - - Have a beachy day!

**We love to reply to your comment, so please make sure your profile shows your email address, it makes it much easier! :O)

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.