Latest Articles from our Partners

White Magnolias at the Beach Cottage

What a beautiful Spring surprise! Each April, before the rest of our perennials bloom, the corner of our front yard bursts into white, dreamy loveliness.

When we moved here it was the dead of winter so serious shock & awe was had when a glorious Star Magnolia, also known as Magnolia stellata, burst into all its glory during our first Spring.

My heart just skips a beat and I instantly cheer up when I head outside to collect some snips of flowers for the cottage (yes, I'm wearing my cupcake boots while doing it - LOL!) I snipped a few branches for our living room and am enjoying them immensely...it really is the little things in life!
Our Star Magnolia is filled with softly scented flowers this year...

The blossoms on these trees are unique. They have lots of petals, many of which curve and bend in the wind. 



The Star Magnolia is a small tree, unlike the popular traditional Magnolia, and some even refer to it as a large shrub.




As you can see in the photos, the soon-to-be leaves are actually fuzzy and remind me of pussy willows.  




The Star Magnolia blossoms truly grace our beach garden with their early Spring blossoms...



Besides playing with photos and flowers I've been playing with white paint again too...hmmmm...I wonder what I'm painting now!??!?

Linking up to: Cottage Flora Thursdays and...
Good Life Wednesdays


lollipops



Today's coastal article brought to you by...
Join Us and Get Social!

 Sally Lee on Facebook Sally Lee's RSS Feed  Sally Lee on Twitter  Subscribe to me on YouTube

26 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Marie! We moved in our house towards the end of summer and are surprised by what is sprouting up this Spring. Don't you love it?! Oh, and I'd love to see those cupcake boots :)

    Have a great night!
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely tree. Reminds me of the magnolia in my parent's garden, we used to call it tulip tree. I have never seen your variety though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marie.. beautiful beautiful magnolia.. I haven't seen this one before.. so pretty.. love your shots too..

    Hope you have a lovely wednesday.. ciao xxx Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love this variety! I just discovered it this year, and actually created a project inspired by them. They are just so gorgeous. Your photographs are gorgeous, too!

    ~Amanda
    http://houserevivals.blogspot.com/2011/04/nature-inspired-vintage-style-garland.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your flowers are so beautiful!! Magnolias are one of my moms favorite. :) Your photos are so pretty Marie and I still think you look cute in your boots!! :)
    Have a wonderful day and I can't wait to see what you are up too!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. just beautiful.
    My late grandmother loved magnolias and i have been looking for one that would represent her.
    i think i just found it either that or she is sending me messages as its the second time tonight i have seen this particular variety

    Nicole
    found your link via a beach cottage

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love, Love your blog and those sweet flowers, I have Bloodroot at my post, and they remind me of your Magnolias
    Celeste, victoriantailor.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of these...they are so gorgeous!


    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not only is your Star Magnolia beautiful, so is your photography! Wonderful shots Marie, you get a gold star today! lol

    After all the snow photos we've been seeing in Blogland, it is so nice to see everyone's Spring flowers, just brightens my day and my mood!

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cupcake boots?!?! They sound precious, you might have to post a pic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great photographs! I love the white petals with the hint of green in the center.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These flowers are just gorgeous! :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your photos of the Star Magnolia are beautiful! I'm looking forward to discovering what will bloom in my new garden this year. Can't wait to see what you've been up to with the white paint!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice photos Marie. Let's see those cupcake boots!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful plant! Can't wait for my roses to bloom, not much longer now. Love to be able to spruce up my home with just a quick walk into my garden. I'd love to get my hands on some of those babies, they are so pretty!!

    xo Linda

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your flowers are gorgeous. And your photography is breathtaking! Seems you capture each little detail. I need lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh!! They are so very beautiful!!!
    We have a flowering dogwood that I love int he springtime!!
    ps...i'm having a little give-away on my blog! Stop on over if you have a minute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How lovely is that! and great pics too! You captured the beauty of the magnolias so well. Glad you added your link to Beach Cottage Good Life Wednesdays. Thanks so much for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your tree is so filled with blooms! Spectacular! And each bloom looks to be perfect. Love those pure white petals.

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh how lovely! Your photographs are stunning too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful tree Marie! Our large magnolia is shedding it's leaves right now and is making a mess. Love the blooms on this. Also, your header looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love all of your shots of the beautiful Star Magnolia's I have 2 here in Savannah that bloomed back in February what fun to get to see yours this late in the season. Love your header.
    hugs, from Savannah, Cherru

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful Magnolia photo's! Thanks so much for linking up to Cottage Flora Thursday's xoxo, tracie

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your white flower shots are amazing!! Magnificent work!

    ReplyDelete
  25. beautiful flowers of summer time, and the blur effect as a frame you added to the pictures looks great, thanks for the good idea, I will take some pictures and then I'll use photoshop

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting us, we would love to hear what you think - - Have a beachy day!

**We love to reply to your comment, so please make sure your profile shows your email address, it makes it much easier! :O)

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.