Latest Articles from our Partners

{Coastal Crafts} Oyster Shell Heart Wreath

Oyster shells and rope found on the beach create an easy to make heart wreath...coastal style!

Since the crafting bug bit recently, we decided to use some of our shells to create a heart for Valentine's Day. We actually like hearts all year long so it will probably hang outside our front entry for several months.

The oyster shells were found last summer on our beach, as you may remember (A Treasure of Seashells article).  The rope has been hanging around for a few years so it was good and clean from all the rain showers.





How to create an Oyster Shell Wreath: Cut out an open heart shape from thick cardboard. Figure out where to place your shells. Hot glue oyster shells onto the cardboard and each other. Oyster shells are very heavy so use LOTS of glue to make sure they are securely attached to each other.

Salvaged rope from our local beach was wound around the heart and ends untwisted to create a bit of fraying. Some purchased white knobby starfish and a five-finger starfish finish the project.

We simply used some twine to create a loop around the top of the heart for easy hanging. Since we are hanging our Oyster Shell Wreath in an entirely dry location we were a bit lazy and used cardboard, but if you wish to use outside then whip out your jigsaw to cut a heart out of wood and use an outdoor rated glue.

 



 



We'll be hanging out at Metamorphosis Monday; Masterpiece Monday and Good Life Wednesday...come visit!

The Lettered Cottage
Have you visited our Premier sponsors lately?
Join Us and Get Social!

 Sally Lee on Facebook Sally Lee's RSS Feed  Sally Lee on Twitter  Subscribe to me on YouTube

21 comments:

  1. This is brilliant! I always throw those shells away and think surely I could do something with them. Great suggestion-thanks!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful and simple. Most people make the mistake of adding too much "sea" elements to coastal wreaths but you are letting the seashells shine in their own beauty. Lovely.

    Angie
    Linen + Verbena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice way to use oyster shells. They almost look like wood.

    Cheers,
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty and unusual! I am remebering this one for my next beach trip! Thanks! Happy week!...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great wreath. Should of saved last night's oyster shells. Next time--Thanks for sharing--

    ReplyDelete
  6. This wreath is so lovely. Nothing is more beautiful than nature! Thanks for sharing it with and inspiring us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for visiting my blog yesterday and leaving such a sweet comment, Marie! It's always fun to meet a fellow blogger! When I first saw this pretty heart, I thought it was made of driftwood -- until I read your entire post! It's just awesome! Great job! That would look in any type of home! :) Following you back, girl!

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love, love, love the mix of oyster shells and sea stars! So pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks beautiful!! Love how your used the rope too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I really do like this wreath!! It almost looked like it was made from drift wood which I love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, I love it! Thank you for sharing at Masterpiece Monday. Have a nice week! Mary :O)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello, I have the honor of being your "linky neighbor" over at A Beach Cottage. Your wreath is just wonderful, and I've not seen this done in the blog world or otherwise, I love a Beachy Coastal Vibe in Decor, well done, xoxo tami

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this! What a great creation. I just may have to use some of my oyster shells and see what I can whip up!
    Lacy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sally, I featured your oyster shell heart wreath on my top ten favorite picks this week! Thank you for sharing this on Masterpiece Monday at Boogieboard Cottage. Mary :O)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Do you make them, they are just gorgeous! I would need 3 ;)

    sandi_shells at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting us, we would love to hear what you think - - Have a beachy day!

**We love to reply to your comment, so please make sure your profile shows your email address, it makes it much easier! :O)

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.