Latest Articles from our Partners

One-of-a-Kind Beach Table

Look what we made! Many years ago we purchased a round coffee table; which served us well for quite a while. The black metal table had a nice piece of glass on the top with a clock face below.  The clock stopped working a while ago and since we moved to our beach location we wanted something more suited to our new home.

An easy coffee table project - It looks better in person!
We removed all the clock mechanisms, flipped the clock face over and a plain black MDF surface remained...it was perfect! We have many black accents throughout our home so the black background would look great. Since we have an over abundance of sand dollars, which were collected from our local beach, we decided to transform our coffee table into a unique, one-of-a-kind piece.

Let the sunshine dries your Sand dollars
After vigorously shaking the sand out of the sand dollars, we cleaned them by soaking them in a mixture of 50% bleach and 50% warm water.  A soaking of an hour or two worked for the majority of them. An old toothbrush helped to scrub the extra dirty shells. I highly recommend wearing gloves when doing this as well as finding a well ventilated location to work.  The weather was beautiful so I was able to do my cleaning and drying out on the deck.  I used wire cooling racks to dry the shells in the sun, flipping them over once.  After 24 hours the sand dollars were bright white and dry throughout.

Lay your shells out for placement BEFORE gluing
David is great at puzzles so he was in charge of laying the sand dollars onto the board to make sure they fit correctly.  We placed a large lazy susan under the board, which made the project so much easier! He then began placing the sand dollars onto the board...working from the outside edge to the middle.  Once placement was figured out, I got my handy dandy glue gun warmed up and started gluing each sand dollar in place (also working from the outside row to the middle).  I found that putting the glue onto the board and then placing the sand dollar on top of it worked the best.  The type of sand dollars used are slightly concaved on the back so make sure you make a nice 'puddle' of glue and then place a small amount of pressure when placing them into the glue. 

A Coffee Table like No Other - The Photo doesn't do it justice!
We gave the glass top a good cleaning and our unique sand dollar coffee table was complete. We have some square, black end tables which have a 2" lip on them so we are thinking of placing a variety of shells onto them and get a piece of plexiglass or glass to place on top.  This same idea can be used in many ways and is so easy to do.

What pieces of furniture have you transformed with seashells, seaglass or other beach treasures?

Life's A Beach - Enjoy!




Making Sumo Sweet Stuff

14 comments:

  1. Wow, that's gorgeous and inspiring! I have a ton of seashells and sand a friend collected as she traveled around the country. Been looking for something inspiring to do with some of them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is a great project! The black and white is very striking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful project and to think it just cost a few "dollars."

    I love designing with shells, I once covered an ugly wood chair and had it in my garden for years before the elements did it in. Might be time to hunt some garage sales for another. You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very cute! Now.. what can I redo for my deck??? Heading home (Seattle) next week to ship my extra stash of shells gathered from Florida Beaches. The ones that warranted buying an extra suitcase!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that is fantastic. i live on long island in new york and hit the beach everyday and find shells aplenty. i use big shells to put my billfold, my keys and my change in. i love your table.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the positive comments! We are really enjoying the table...I just keep looking at it and thinking WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cute.I would love for you to visit my blog. I am hosting a giveaway from CSN stores for a chance to win a $40 dollar gift card.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that is the most unique table I have ever seen. Makes me wish I had a little cottage by the beach. Love it!

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a creative idea, I love it!
    Hugz,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic table! Love the sand dollar touch! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Did you actually collect all those sand dollars? A terrific reuse of your "time" piece. And a perfect post for my Time Travel linky party. Thanks for linking up!

    I would love for you to join in on the fun for all three of my linky parties each week:

    ASK THE YANKEE - MONDAYS
    TIPS & TRICKS TUESDAY
    TIME TRAVEL THURSDAY

    You can get the details here:

    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/2010/06/brambleberry-cottage-linky-party.html

    Each party runs for six days, so come on by!

    Hope to see you there!
    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are all fantastic. I especially like the driftwood one. I'm looking for a sofa table for behind my sofa which you can put shells, pictures and — treasures in. It has a clear top and I think Pottery Barn used to have them. When I find another one of those, it's got to come live at my house.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This table is absolutely gorgeous!That is a great idea! I too - have tons of Sand dollars from San Diego beach - some days I might find a couple dozen - and other days - none at all. I found picture frames that are deep like a shadow box - laid then in patterns with different sizes and also have just put them in rows in the frames. They are all beautiful!
    Thanks so much for sharing - I'll be on the look out for something like this to display my shells and sand dollars.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting us, we would love to hear what you think - - Have a beachy day!

**We love to reply to your comment, so please make sure your profile shows your email address, it makes it much easier! :O)

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.